Secunia Personal Software Inspector can be used to scan all the installed applications on the PC to determine which programs are missing security patches/updates.
The tool works by by examining files on your computer (primarily .exe, .dll, and .ocx files) for meta information on specific software builds installed. After examining all the files on the machine, the collected data is sent to Secunia’s servers and matched against the Secunia File Signatures engine determine the exact applications installed on your system.
It can be used to flag insecure/end-of-life software and find direct download links to missing security updates.
It monitors more than 4,200 desktop applications! Did I mention that it is free?
You can download it at psi.secunia.com!
While learning for my exam (designing a research document) i came a cross this wise saying:
“We have two ears and one mouth, so we should listen more than we say”
Zeno of Citium, 300 BC.
Think about it…
Around October Red Alert 3 will be released. Until that there is plenty of time to play the original Red Alert, which was released in 1996!
This might be old news to the real fans and die-hards, but for others this might be handy. To play Red Alert online you needed to through a lot of settings. That has been made a bit easier by following this guide on strike-team.net. It also works for Red Alert 2, and Renegade.
This program is a real must have if your looking for more then just MS Paint that comes with Windows!
I think most of you already know it, specially for those who don’t:
Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
- Simple and intuitive tab-based multi-document user interface
- Now available in 8 languages: English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), and Spanish
- Interactive Gradient Tool that makes it very easy to draw and then fine-tune placement and coloring of a gradient.
- User-definable color palette (as opposed to just the color wheel)
- New effects: Clouds, Median, Unfocus, Outline, and an improved Sharpen
- More intuitive and more powerful toolbar
- Generally improved and cleaner user interface
- History files are now compressed to save disk space, reduce disk activity, and improve performance.
- “Merge Down” layer command
Operating system Windows XP (SP2 or later), Vista,Server 2003 (SP1 or later), Home Server, Server 2008
Processor 500 MHz or higher
RAM 256 MB (Recommended: 512 MB or more)
Free hard drive space 200 MB
Software Component .NET Framework 2.0
Graphics 1024 x 768 screen resolution
Spiceworks provides a free systems management, inventory, and helpdesk software application, Spiceworks IT Desktop, designed for network administrators working in small- to medium-sized businesses.
Spiceworks IT Desktop is used to inventory, monitor, manage and report on software and hardware assets. It also includes an integrated help desk system. Spiceworks runs on Microsoft Windows and discovers Windows, Unix, Linux and Mac OS X machines along with other IP-addressable devices such as routers, VOIP phones, printers, etc. Spiceworks is an advertisement-supported application and is written in Ruby on Rails.
Here is a feature list:
- Scan SNMP Devices
- Linux Scanning via an SSH login
- Alerts on customizable definitions (eg machines with no anti-virus or low printer toner)
- Ability to manage your software licenses
- Software automatically categorizes machines into groups. eg Laptops, servers, routers etc
- Ability to define custom devices
- Ability to compare one machine with another
- A Ticket system
- Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows Vista (with special settings), Windows 2003 Server (latest service packs recommended)
- 700 MHz Pentium class processor
- 512 MB RAM
- Firefox 1.5 – 2.0
- Internet Explorer 6.0 – 7.0