Spiceworks provides a free systems management, inventory, and helpdesk software application, Spiceworks IT Desktop, designed for network administrators working in small- to medium-sized businesses.
Spiceworks IT Desktop is used to inventory, monitor, manage and report on software and hardware assets. It also includes an integrated help desk system. Spiceworks runs on Microsoft Windows and discovers Windows, Unix, Linux and Mac OS X machines along with other IP-addressable devices such as routers, VOIP phones, printers, etc. Spiceworks is an advertisement-supported application and is written in Ruby on Rails.
Here is a feature list:
- Scan SNMP Devices
- Linux Scanning via an SSH login
- Alerts on customizable definitions (eg machines with no anti-virus or low printer toner)
- Ability to manage your software licenses
- Software automatically categorizes machines into groups. eg Laptops, servers, routers etc
- Ability to define custom devices
- Ability to compare one machine with another
- A Ticket system
- Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows Vista (with special settings), Windows 2003 Server (latest service packs recommended)
- 700 MHz Pentium class processor
- 512 MB RAM
- Firefox 1.5 – 2.0
- Internet Explorer 6.0 – 7.0